PakistanWorld

Massive Search Operation in Islamabad Leads to Detention of 800 Afghans

In a major operation conducted in various parts of the federal capital territory, Islamabad police detained 800 Afghan citizens. The operation was carried out in Bara Kahu, Trinol, Mahar Abadian, Golra, and Shams Colony.

Of the 800 detained individuals, 400 were later released after they were able to provide proof of residence. However, 375 Afghan nationals who could not produce any identity papers are set to be deported from Pakistan. The remaining 25 Afghans have been detained pending verification of their identity documents.

The operation was planned based on confidential information and lists of Afghans compiled beforehand. Police officials have indicated that the operation will intensify in the coming days, with a focus on criminal elements among the Afghan residents.

According to a report by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), there are currently 3.7 million Afghan nationals residing in Pakistan as of June this year. However, only 1.3 million of them are officially registered with the authorities. The remaining individuals, approximately 775,000, are unregistered Afghans.

A significant majority (68.8%) of Afghan citizens in Pakistan have settled in urban or semi-urban areas. The rest (31.2%) are distributed across 54 different regions including villages.

Back to top button